Saturday, August 30, 2014

Announcing: The Caretaker by Harold Pinter

Citizens of Earth:

I am proud to announce South Stream Production's third annual show: The Caretaker by Harold Pinter. 

The show will be directed by Jay O'Berski, stage managed by JaMeeka Holloway-Burrell with the following cast: 

Mick:  Ryan Brock
Aston: Brook North
Davies: John Honeycutt

When:
January 2-4, 8-11, 15-18.
7:30 PM, Sundays at 3:00PM

Where: 
Common Ground Theatre
4815B Hillsboro St.
Durham, NC

I am thrilled with this lineup. Choosing The Caretaker was an interesting process. John and I were kicking around script ideas for a while. One of the scripts we were considering was The Caretaker but, while I really liked the play and the writing, I have to admit that I was simply... well confused and a bit intimidated by it. While we were in the process of kicking things around, I happened to mention to Jay over email that we were considering the script, but "I don't know if I even get it. I'd need a director that could really help us figure it out." To be honest, at the time I was fishing for recommendations for other plays. Jay is such a well known artist and busy with his own company (the excellent Little Green Pig) that I didn't imagine he would be interested. When he said he would be willing to work with us on the show, John and I made our decision then and there that this was the show we would do. 

Ryan Brock will be returning to our company as a cast member. I loved working with Ryan as a director last January in Seascape, so I'm excited and honored that he (1) likes us enough to come back, and (2) I get to share the stage with him. 

I'm also happy that JaMeeka Holloway-Burrell will be joining us as our stage manager. I've never worked with JaMeeka before but I'm looking forward to it. It's great to work with friends and people with whom you've collaborated before. It can foster a certain comfort level that allows experimentation. But if you stick only with people that you run the risk of being too comfortable, of getting stuck in the same tricks. Having new people in the room adds something to a show you can't get any other way. And make no mistake about it, a stage manager is very much part of the creative team.

So, after you've eaten all the Christmas cookies and drunk the New Year's champagne, when you're ready to start your New Year with something a little more nourishing, a little more substantive, make plans to join us for our show. I think it will be a rewarding experience.

NOTE: This post was updated to reflect the fact that we will be performing in Common Ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twelfth Night's Come and Gone

  Whew! What an adventure!  Wow, well our production of Twelfth Night was a huge success. It far exceeded my expectations. I loved this sho...