Sunday, May 29, 2016

Don't Come Support My Show

Yeah, I'm talkin' ta you.


"Come out and support the show." You see that all the time. And let me tell you, I need your support. And so do other theatre companies.

We need your support in our fundraisers and kickstarters. We need your support in your donations of time and effort and occasionally your furniture (we'll get it back to you in one piece I promise). We need your support at the ballot box to elect legislators who value the arts and are willing to fund them. We need your support in so many ways, because art does not pay for itself. Because this is not a profit making endeavor, it's a community making one.

But don't come to my show because you want to "support" it. Come out because you want to enjoy it. Come see my show because you want to be entertained and challenged. Come because you want to see some damn good theatre and you think what I've done in the past fits that definition.

"Support"implies a sacrifice. It's a donation of time or money. When you come see my show, I hope you don't feel that way. I hope you're feel like you got your money's worth. Truth be told, if we talk about what the actual costs are to produce theatre, you are getting more than your money's worth.

So please, by all means DO support theatre. Bare Theatre is performing Two Gentlemen of Verona for free! If you want to support theatre, go to their kickstarter page and donate to support the production:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/baretheatre/two-gentlemen-of-verona

But come to my show because you like theatre. Because you value the experience of having a live connection with the performers. Because you want to see something worth your time and money.

Because you will.

GET YOUR TICKETS HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twelfth Night's Come and Gone

  Whew! What an adventure!  Wow, well our production of Twelfth Night was a huge success. It far exceeded my expectations. I loved this sho...